The project involved the substantial refurbishment and reconstruction of 3 separate buildings dating from c.1934, when the Art Deco corner building was constructed and merged with 2 adjacent buildings. The structure comprises of a complex reinforced concrete frame along City Rd and a two steel frame with clay hollow pot floors along Epworth Street and Tabernacle Street.
To improve the office floor plate, form columns free spaces and provide a new central stair and lift shaft, the rear half of the building has been demolished and rebuilt as a new steel frame behind a retained facade. The upper two partial floors have been removed and will be replaced with three new full floors. Along both the City Rd and Epworth Rd new double height voids have been formed to link the ground and lower ground.
With no record drawings significant opening up works were undertaken within a fully occupied building to mitigate risk and confirm the feasibility of this complicated scheme. Material testing has been able to prove the existing structure for an increase in loads. The loss of stability from the demolition of stair cores, removal of load bearing shear wall and sections of floor, required careful planning to ensure the building remained stable.
Client: London and Regional PropertiesArchitect: Buckley Gray Yeoman