A seven storey office building that is located between Soho to the north and Chinatown to the south. Effectively two buildings, 75 and 77-85, the original building was constructed in 1905 with distinctive protruding bay windows and hexagonal corner with arched fenestration at mezzanine level. This provided the inspiration to the façade of 77-85 when it was built in 1984 – 85.
The proposal included significant demolition of the concrete structure around the central atrium with the original façade retained. The three separate lift cores will be rebuild as a central triplex lift. The floor plates and atrium will be rebuilt to provide the most effective layout around a reduced atrium.
A key project challenge is the retained tenant to the south west corner of ground and first floor.
Client: Capital Real Estate PartnersArchitect: Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands