1336 - Battersea Arts Centre
A Grade II* listed town hall building in Battersea, in use as an arts centre for the last 30 years. The centre has carried out a rolling programme of refurbishment projects, of which HTS have been involved in since 2012.
- Remodelling courtyard with new lift shaft and additional storey of office space within existing roof trusses.
- Refurbishment carried out whilst centre was open, requiring detailed phasing and sequencing discussions with contractor.
- Grand Hall roof collapse following severe fire in March 2015 – note part of the construction site at the time.
- HTS designed temporary works to retain brickwork gable walls and various other elements of the dangerous structure.
- New roof trusses designed to accommodate modern theatre tech and access requirements, in addition to heavy acoustic build-up.
- Elastomeric bearings incorporated within truss bearing to limit loads on brickwork buttresses. Additional loads justified with no strengthening to existing structure.
Awards: Winner of RIBA London Award.
Client: Battersea Arts CentreArchitect: Haworth Tompkins