0814 - French Railways House
This project involved the refurbishment of the basement, ground, mezzanine and first floor of French Railways House, to create new retail & gallery space, including the new flagship Cath Kidson store on Piccadilly.
- Created new retail and gallery spaces including the flagship Cath Kidston store on Piccadilly.
- Works were phased to keep the basement car park open to tenants during the first stage of the works.
- Stability elements were removed to create a dramatic vertical lightwell into the new gallery.
- HTS worked for both the building owner Great Portland Estates and the incoming tenant Cath Kidston.
- The proposed scheme involved extensive cut and carve to the existing structure & fabric of the building.
- Works included the removal of the existing car ramp, the creation of a large vertical lightwell for the basement gallery space and the demolition of an existing stability element.
- A large number of openings were created through the ground floor retail space for the incoming tenant as well as locally strengthening the first floor for plant.
Client: Great Portland EstatesArchitect: Ian McArdle Architects