1135 - Hill House
Refurbishment and extension of existing 1960’s 14-storey RC frame office in Archway, re-clad and converted to residential usage.
- Tower extended up by two storeys, and the plinth outwards with new cantilever balconies, without any foundation or column strengthening.
- Pioneering approach developed to justify lateral stability over increased height; a UK-first, using high-strength carbon fibres bonded to existing shear walls.
- Change of use to residential via permitted development rights.
- Historic structural drawings were lost, so HTS commissioned sufficient surveys to back-calculate the capacity of existing structure and confirm the viability of proposals.
- New ‘blue-roof’ attenuates rainwater flows without the need for a large buried tank.
Client: EventInv LtdArchitect: Hawkins Brown