This existing 6 storey, Grade 1 listed building was constructed in 1774 by Lord Villiers, as a residential property. More recently being used as the London headquarters for a world renowned Italian fashion house, the building has now been returned to use as a single family dwelling in the heart of Mayfair. HTS worked with the architect to restore much of the original fabric at lower levels whilst adding a new storey at roof level and lowering the existing basement slab to facilitate a working kitchen and security rooms.
Straddling the Victoria Line and constructed on the sloping banks of the former River Tyburn, the site has been described as one of the most challenging in London. Alterations required significant ground improvement techniques in the form of a ‘Pali Radice’ (a grouted, steel reinforced, piled lattice designed to strengthen soil capacities) inserted beneath existing basement prior to commencement of above-ground works, to mitigate damage to the listed structure over.
Client: Private IndividualArchitect: Purcell