1632 - Steel Warriors - Calisthenic street gym
Steel Warriors, a new London charity founded by Ben Wintour and Pia Fontes, aims to create a series of outdoor calisthenics gyms constructed using steel from knives confiscated by London’s Metropolitan Police.
- A new outdoor gym created using two tonnes of steel from knives confiscated over a two-month period by the Met Police.
- Inherently sustainable, 50% of the gym contains recycled knife steel composite, equating to a total of ¼ knife steel overall.
- Designed and constructed within a year - the work by the team of specialists was undertaken on a pro-bono basis.
- Heyne Tillett Steel have developed a brand-new way of using recycled steel. While it is not necessarily unusual to use a composite of recycled and new steel, it is the first of its kind in using steel of varying grades. All knifes were graded and sorted into groups before being combined with CD4MCu Duplex stainless steel.
- While the composite mix is tailor-made for this batch of recycled knives, the research will be used as a template when rolling out further new gyms of this kind.